Baking with Tito’s: Russian Tea Cookies
We’ve partnered up again this season with the gluten-free baking magicians at Austin’s own Blackbird Bakery to bring you more deliciousness (to enjoy along with your Tito’s Handmade Vodka cocktail of choice). We’re kickin’ it off with our Texas take on Russian Tea Cookies, a holiday treat that’s perfect for any kind of seasonal celebration.
Tito’s Gluten-Free Russian Tea Cookies
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped medjool dates
- 3 Tbsp Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cups Blackbird Bakery Cookie Jar Blend
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Glutinous rice flour for dusting and rolling (available at most grocery stores in the Asian section)
- Powdered sugar for rolling the cookies (after baking and cooling)
- At least 2 hours before you begin, pour Tito’s Handmade Vodka over the chopped medjool dates and allow them to infuse.
- In a stand mixer, combine the unsalted butter with the powdered sugar, light brown sugar, almond meal and Blackbird Bakery’s Cookie Jar Blend. Mix on the lowest setting until the mixture begins to come together, about five minutes. Add the vanilla, and mix until combined. Increase the mixer speed to high, and beat until the dough sticks to the sides of the bowl and the paddle. Turn the mixer off, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and then add the chopped pecans and the vodka infused medjool dates. Mix on the lowest setting until combined.
- Lightly dust your counter with glutinous rice flour and turn the dough onto the flour. Lightly knead until the dough comes together. Form into a ball and wrap in plastic to refrigerate. For the best results, it is essential to refrigerate the dough overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop tablespoon sized balls of dough onto your cookie sheet, at least one inch apart. Repeat until all of your dough has been placed on the cookie sheets.
- Bake for 6 minutes, rotate the pans, and then bake for another 6 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan. They are delicate when they first come out of the oven, so it is best not to touch them until they have cooled and set.
- When the cookies have cooled, roll them in the powdered sugar and serve.
Makes 36 cookies. Will keep in an airtight container for a week.