Baking with Tito’s: Tipsy Marbled Gugelhupf
More gluten-free goodness from Blackbird Bakery and Tito’s Handmade Vodka! Nothing is more gorgeous than a scalloped bundt cake during the holidays, and many of the traditional German bundt cakes you see are loaded with spirits! The alcohol bakes off in the oven, but the sugar in the cakes absorbs all the liquid, leaving you with a sinfully moist treat.
Tito’s Tipsy Marbled Gugelhupf
- 4 Tbsp Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 2 1/4 cup Blackbird Bakery Cake & Muffin Blend
- 4 eggs, yolks separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp instant coffee
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325⁰F.
- Coat the inside of a 7.5” x 4” (10 cup) bundt pan with non-stick spray.
- Beat the egg yolks, lemon zest, sugar and 2 tablespoons Tito’s Handmade Vodka until pale and creamy.
- Sift the Blackbird Bakery Cake & Muffin Blend together with the baking powder. Alternating with the half and half, add the sifted flour and baking powder to the yolk mixture and mix on medium until the batter is very smooth and well combined.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt and 2 teaspoons sugar until glossy peaks form. Fold into the batter.
- Spoon half of the batter into a separate bowl. In a measuring cup, whisk the cocoa powder with the instant coffee. Zest the orange into the cocoa powder. Stir in the water and remaining 2 tablespoons of Tito’s Handmade Vodka. Mix until smooth.
- Spoon a small amount of the blonde batter into the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of the chocolate batter. Repeat until all of the batter has been used. The cake will marble as it bakes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, rotate the pan and bake for 30 minutes more. The cake is done when it pulls from the sides of the pan and a wooden skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve with freshly whipped cream.