Gingered Grape Granitas from Domesticate ME!
We love ice cream, but with our Texas temperatures on the rise, we sometimes crave a lighter, more refreshing alternative. So, naturally, snow cones are a topic of conversation around the Tito’s Handmade Vodka office this time of year; where to get the best ones in town, what flavor combinations to order, can everyone be ready to go get one in 5 minutes, etc…
Granita is a semi-frozen, dairy free, Italian treat made with sugar, water or juice and a variety of flavorings. Depending on how it’s made, the texture varies from slushie to snow cone consistency. We were so excited to find this Gingered Grape Granitas recipe on Domesticate ME! It satisfies our snow cone cravings AND it works for happy hour, dessert, or an afternoon snack… a boozy one.
Gingered Grape Granitas
- 1 cup Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- 2 cups 100% Concord grape juice
- 2 cups ginger ale
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 sprigs fresh mint, chopped (about 2 tsp)
For garnish: (optional)
- 1 cup seedless grapes of your choice
- 4-6 fresh mint sprigs
- In a 9” x 13” baking dish (or whatever baking dish you happen to own), combine vodka, grape juice, ginger ale, lime juice and chopped mint. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer.
- Use a fork to stir the mixture every 45 minutes or so, making sure to scrape the edges and break up the ice as the mixture freezes, until your granita is completely frozen and has the texture of a snow cone, about 3-4 hours.
- Scoop the granita into small bowls or cocktail glasses and garnish each with a few grapes and sprig of mint (if using). Serve immediately.